Friday, December 4, 2009

Visibility.

Tonight I find myself typing with trembling fingers.  It seems that the marriage equality fight might finally come to New Jersey.  And, if it does, there's a possibility that I might get the chance to marry my best friend, my love, my lover, my partner, my occasional tormentor, my comic relief, my shelter, my shield, my fan, my smack upside the head, my so many things.  I am grateful for all that he is to me.  And I am grateful for all that he allows me to be for him.  Sometimes I think the most loving act is the gleeful, gracious acceptance of love.  That he has fallen in love with me, and thus given me the opportunity to spend my life loving him, is a blessing I am not talented enough to express in words.  And while it's quite clear that in the apprehensive, skittish world of politics anything or nothing can happen at a moment's notice, it seems at this moment that New Jersey's number is about to be called.
I find myself frustrated, depressed, angry, horrified, driven to distraction by our recent losses.  The truth appears to be neither as flashy nor as seductive as fear.  It feels that we simply can not break up that generations old bedrock of ignorance that our opponents have built their house of cards on.  
It's a game of fear.  Our opponents use it to their advantage, brilliantly.  Marriage equality isn't even up for a vote yet (a despicable idea if ever there was one, yet here we are, voting on my relationship while peeking into Tiger Woods' marriage without the slightest thought that it should be put to a referendum) in New Jersey and already I've heard a horrific yet effective radio ad denouncing it.  At the end of the ad is a disclaimer from the station that the "views expressed may not necessarily be the views of the station."  Well, that's not entirely true.  I doubt they would take money from anyone who would advocate reverting to spousal ownership - a truly traditional idea.  So while they may not agree with the ideas expressed, at the very least they don't find them offensive enough to forgo that advertising money.
Fear.  On another level our politicians vote their own personal fears.  Although I think it is often the case that they fear marriage equality less than they fear winding up actually affected by the current "recession."  Like the rest of us, they are afraid of losing their jobs.  Unlike the rest of us, when they play politics, it's for real.  And the consequences of their fears are catastrophic.  
This is why I find myself occasionally overwhelmed with what feels like an impotent anger.  Their fears, to some extent, dictate my life.  Their fears place boundaries around some of us - around me - but not around others.  So I have to step back from my emotions.  When I read things day in and day out about myself that aren't true but which clearly resonate with the fearful and ignorant - when hypocrisy struts around with grandeur and arrogance - when religion is called upon to do the dirty work for those who's abnormal, fetishized obsession with gay people propels them to crisscross the country spewing bile and providing a breeding ground for intolerance, ignorance and hate, all the while disavowing any violence that might take place in their wake - I must step back and look at the bigger picture.
The bigger picture is, in a word, visibility.  As hurt and disgusted as I am on a daily basis, I must remind myself that even if it seems that we are losing, and even as those righteous defenders of inequality gloat in their momentary victories, they are a mercifully short-sighted group.  Visibility.  This is about the long haul.  Visibility.  This is about being on the news every single night.  Fighting.  Winning some.  Losing too many.  But still fighting.  And visible.  Visible on television.  Visible in our everyday lives.  Visible to kids who are struggling with being gay.  Visible to their parents.  There's not a more powerful political statement than being out of the closet.  That simply can not be overstated.  To paraphrase Harvey Milk:  When they know us they don't vote against us.  
Visibility.
Things will change when our elected officials fear not voting for equal rights.  When the negative repercussions to their livelihood stem from voting "no" on marriage equality.  I pray that the fury we felt this week when the New York Senate voted to deny us our civil rights will not ebb, but instead will fester and propel us to the voting booths come election time.  If that happens - if those cowardly men and women lose their jobs because of the vote they cast against equality - then last week will have been a victory for us.  Because their successors will understand that bigotry is no longer a bankable voting block, but equality is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your opening sentence in the last paragraph says it all- things will change when they fear NOT voting for equal rights.

Roger said...

thanks for reading...and for leaving a comment!

Anonymous said...

Roger, Where'd you go? Bring back the blog!