Monday, September 14, 2009

And On the Seventh Day, Oprah Rested

A member of Obama's Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships is thinking about quitting.  It seems his Faith isn't being considered enough when it comes time to make policy decisions.  Is it just me?  Am I the only one still horrified that there is such a thing as the President's Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships?  Am I the only one who's happy that the president doesn't appear to be paying too much attention to members of the clergy when formulating policy?
Maureen Dowd, with whom I often disagree, seems to have hit the nail on the head in her NY Times article, Boy, Oh, Boy.  I'm not fond of the knee jerk reaction of calling everything racist.  Or even homophobic.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of stories I come across everyday that I don't post here, because all of the facts haven't presented themselves yet.  I learned a big lesson about myself during the Duke Lacrosse scandal.  I had no doubt that those guys did something wrong.  I rushed instantly to judgement.  And I was wrong.  Point blank.  Now I tend to be more circumspect before using such powerful words.  But from the outrage at Obama speaking to our children to "You lie;"  from the cavalier way people carried guns to town hall meetings where he was present to Glenn Beck's paranoid, yet creative, rant about Obama's oligarhy, you have to wonder:  is it simply because some people just can't forward the respect that comes with the office because the man occupying it is black?  It seems that some people just can't see him as the president.  It's becoming more and more clear.  It's scary.
Over at The Huffington Post, Lincoln Mitchell is wondering why there is such a stunning silence from the Republican leadership with regards to the reprehensible behavior by the far right wing of the party.  
Even David Frum, "a conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush" is deeply concerned that the inmates have taken over the asylum
The torture and murder of gay Iraqis has gone high tech.  Those who wish to kill gay men, and, less frequently, women, have discovered that the internet is a fantastic tool in the hunting, torturing and killing of gay people.  Apparently this violence "against gays started in the aftermath of the invasion in 2003."  Not for nothing, aren't we supposed to be protecting people over there?
D.C. may be getting marriage equality in the not too distant future.  I literally can not wait to hear what that "moral politician" Marion Barry has to say about this.  
And now for my favorite quote of the day.  Oprah Winfrey on Obama:   "I wanted him elected, and I think I did that."  Is there another way to understand that quote that I'm just not seeing?
More tomorrow.

No comments: