Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Like Sands Through the Hourglass

I haven't disappeared.  Nor have I given up on my blog.  
Life has just gotten busy lately.  
I'm slightly overwhelmed by work.  While it's a blessing to have work to be overwhelmed by, it's still overwhelming.  
Our kitchen renovation is - I hate to repeat the same word, but... - also overwhelming.  And a full time job.  Again, I understand that it's a blessing to be overwhelmed by your renovated kitchen.  I'm aware of that.  But still...
And finally and most importantly, I currently have a few friends going through some difficult times - actually difficult, not the too much work/kitchen renovation variety I'm going through.  I guess I'd rather be there for them than blog.  Maybe there's a selfishness to being an artist that I just don't possess.  That's not to say that I'm not capable of more than my fair share of selfishness.  But there's a certain skill having to do with blinders that I just don't have.  I want to be there, as much as I can, for my friends.  Otherwise, what's the point?
One day, in the hopefully far, far distant future, I will leave this world.  I would love to leave something tangible.  Something human and provocative and so intimate and specific that it reverberates universally.  Something that connects us.
But I'd also love to leave this world having touched those that I love. 
So, considering that time is finite - considering that days are only so long and that choices must be made -  my blogging has suffered. 
Suffered.  But not been surrendered.
More, much more, tomorrow.