Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pray, Fast, Believe

12 followers!!!  Soon I'm going to need a Blog Mitzvah! (Alright, they can't all be winners.)
I'm still deeply depressed about the hole that has been left by the passing of Senator Kennedy.  I wonder where another voice like his will come from - if we'll ever hear another voice like his.  I doubt it.  
Just to get me out of the this horrible mood I'm in, I'll start with Governor Sanford.  Apparently he will not be going quietly.  I'm just going to say it:  I wish I had his balls.  I wish I could stand up - after disappearing for a week - after leaving my wife and kids as well as my job - after possibly stealing money in order to travel to another country where I would be meeting my soul mate who, not for nothing, isn't my wife - and declare that I would not be "railroaded" out of my job!  (There's a level of "fuck you" inherent in him that I just don't have.  I don't think he would have hemmed and hawed about starting a blog!)
"I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign)... I come from the business side," he said. "If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he'd be gone."  I could not agree more.  And who is the "he" in this quote?  Who is this insightful man and what is he referring to?  It would be Governor Sanford, then Representative Sanford, discussing the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal.  He voted to impeach. 
And for the love of all that is good and holy, let's not forget for one moment that this man, this paramour of virtue - wait - paragon - sorry - paragon - paragon of virtue has voted time and again to deny marriage equality to gays.  He does not think that we should be able to take part in the sacred institution of marriage.  I guess he doesn't want us sullying it.  Or maybe he's afraid we're going to show him how it's supposed to be done.  Or maybe he's just an asshole.
In other news, the NY Times reported that "The mayor of Anchorage...vetoed a ban against discrimination based on sexual orientation, saying it was unclear that such discrimination existed."  The veto does not have the votes for an override.  At this point I don't feel any great need to ever see that state.
The National Organization for Marriage seems to be heading to Iowa to spread the hate and make sure that only people they like have the rights that they feel like bequeathing.  Aren't they in Maine this week trying to drum up support for inequality there?  Who'da thunk that fighting for inequality while simultaneously attempting to make us a nation where the separation of church and state is a quaint anecdote in an eighth grade history textbook would be so exhausting and travel heavy?
Michael Steele.  A prime example of why I don't think people are smart just because they're lawyers.  
According to Utah Governor Gary Herbert, everyone "ought to just do the right thing because it's the right thing to do and we don't have to have a law that punishes us if we don't."  This was his reasoning behind opposing anti-discrimination laws against the LGBT community.  One has to wonder what exactly Gov. Herbert's idea of "the right thing" is.  But since I don't know, and since he doesn't believe that there ought to be laws that spell it out, I'm just going to stay the hell away from Utah.
And finally tonight, I'm going to leave you with my favorite person, Michele Bachmann.  She's urging those who oppose health care reform to fast reform away.  “That’s really where this battle will be won — on our knees in prayer and fasting,” she told the listeners. “Remember: faith without works is dead. So we’re asking you to do all of it: pray, fast, believe, trust the Lord, but also act.”  Here's hoping that, should the fast go on for too long, they're all covered under a good plan.
And in the spirit of bipartisanship, the same spirit that the president is allowing to kill any hope of meaningful health care reform, I'm going to take some advice from Ms. Bachmann.  If it will help get a public option passed, I too will get on my knees.

No comments: