Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Once More, With Feeling

Monday night I did it.  I took a deep breath, ignored my fears and hit "publish."  There I was.  Out in public.  Friends and family urging me on like I had reached the 26th mile.
Then came Tuesday night.  And...and...and..........nothing.  Not a word in my head.  Not a whisper of a thought.  Nothing.  
Imagine my surprise after years of yelling at the t.v. in my living room.  Years of yelling at the radio in my car.  Years of Facebook rants in 140 characters or less.  Nothing.
What happened to my fury?  To the myriad words that flow through my head and body and multiply at such a rapid rate that the mere thought of keeping them contained makes me visibly tremble?  What happened to my gripes and opinions?  Why had I been abandoned right when I was ready to leap?
And then it hit me - the voices were back.  Only this time they were pissed off.  They were demanding.  Petulant.  Loud.  Rude.  Uninformed.  And most of all, scared.  They were like birthers at a town hall meeting.
I'll spare you the transcript.  Suffice it to say that the voices in my head were both repetitive AND redundant.  
What I learned today is that one "fuck it" may not be enough for me.  
So here I am again.  Figuring this out.  One letter at a time.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

The vampire inside all of must and will die. But the stakes need to get stronger and stronger in order to have any impact at all.

It's a bit like Harry Potter trying to cast an unforgiveable curse-you simply have to really Mean it when you do it.

Loren said...

How about leaving the "fuck it" right out? How about "there is a NEED for many people to share the incredible gift that I have been given to speak the truth and to speak it loudly?"