Friday, August 21, 2009

Temperanillo & Twix

I'm three glasses of Temperanillo and one peanut butter Twix into my weekend.
So let's start with Michele Bachmann.  
Apparently she hates the idea of a public option so much that she's stated, for the record, unequivocally, that "under no certain circumstances will I give the government control over my body and my health care decisions."  Interesting.  Apparently her reproductive organs don't fall under the heading of her "body" or her "health care decisions."  Because as we all know, Ms. Bachmann is vehemently pro-life.
I hate the name "pro-life."  By default, it implies that everyone who doesn't agree with them is pro-death.
What I find most fascinating about the pro-life movement is that most of them tend to be Republicans.  Aren't these the same people who want a smaller government?  A government that's not in your home, your small business or your wallet?  
But in your uterus is not only fine, apparently it's necessary.  
You might do something with it that they don't like.
And aren't they all about personal liberty and freedom and responsibility?  
Yes.  
Right up until they don't like one of your decisions.
In other news, predictably, the members of the W. administration have begun to speak out against Tom Ridge's claim that he was "pressured" to raise the terror alerts in order to gain political capital.  As more and more books are written, and as each person with their own ax to grind comes forward, we're going to learn more and more about all the things we've always suspected.  I may have to avert my eyes at some point.  I'm not sure I want confirmed all the things I suspected.  But for now I'll just enjoy watching them all point their fingers at one another.
And finally, props to the Evangelical Lutheran Church who voted today to "allow churches to hire gay pastors in relationships."  In the past, they were allowed only to hire celibate gay pastors.
Of the decision, Rev. Paul Spring of Pennsylvania said, “I am saddened that a Lutheran church that was founded on a firm commitment to the Bible has come to the point that the ELCA would vote to reject the Bible’s teaching on marriage and homosexual behavior. I breaks my heart.” 
As I go to bed on this rainy Friday night I'm going to hope for more and more broken hearts like the one Rev. Paul Spring has.

2 comments:

AmyWH said...

As always, you give me so much to think about, but sadly I don't have a peanut butter Twix to keep me company. BTW, I don't think of myself as pro-death. I'm more anti-life, and I've got a bumper sticker on my minivan to prove it.

Roger said...

i love you and your bumper sticker!!!
and the problem of the missing p.b. twix can be solved with a quick run to a gas station mini-mart or a rite-aid. and they're good. they're really good!!!